Mangaluru, May 18, 2026: Dakshina Kannada Deputy Commissioner Darshan HV said the district administration will take necessary measures to ensure that no artificial flooding occurs in the Phalguni river during the monsoon due to the construction of a coffer bund between Tannirbhavi and Sulthan Bathery for bridge works, or due to debris dumping into the river.
The issue was recently raised by members of NECF, who expressed concern that the coffer bund was obstructing the natural flow of water and could trigger flooding in low-lying areas such as Kottara Chowki, Malemar, Kavoor, Kuntikana and Abbakka Nagar during heavy rains.
Addressing mediapersons, the DC said the Mangaluru City Corporation (MCC) had already filed a complaint regarding debris dumping in the river. An FIR has been registered and the vehicle involved in dumping the debris has been seized.
“The MCC had instructed the person responsible to clear the debris. As they failed to comply, the corporation deployed two earthmovers to remove the debris, and the work is expected to be completed within 10 days. The cost incurred will be recovered from the violator,” he said.
Regarding the coffer bund constructed for the bowstring bridge project, the DC said the administration is examining multiple options to prevent flooding during the monsoon.
“We have two to three plans under consideration. A final decision will be taken to ensure there is no artificial flooding,” he said.
He further stated that the road connectivity work linked to the bridge is likely to be completed by the first week of July. “The assembled bowstring girder will then be jacked onto the bridge,” he added.
Fish Kill in Gurupura River
Responding to allegations that untreated sewage discharge from the Pacchanady Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) caused fish deaths in the Gurupura river, the DC said untreated sewage is not released regularly, though occasional leakages may result in sewage entering water bodies.
He said inadequate underground drainage (UGD) connectivity within MCC limits remains a major challenge.
“We do not have 100 per cent UGD connectivity within city limits, leading to contamination of water bodies. To address this, proposals have been submitted to strengthen STPs and expand UGD works in uncovered areas. An estimate of Rs 1,000 crore has been submitted to the state government,” he said.
The Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (KSPCB) and the Lokayukta have also issued notices to the MCC regarding the issue.
“We have explained the ground realities to the KSPCB. Restrictions have also been imposed on new houses within city limits. If there is no UGD connection, single-pit or double-pit systems will be made mandatory,” he added.
Rs 100 Crore for Sea Erosion Control
On coastal erosion, the DC said the government has sanctioned Rs 100 crore each for the three coastal districts to tackle sea erosion.
He said technical reports from the National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK), Surathkal, and a Chennai-based institute have been received to identify permanent shoreline management solutions.
“A state-level meeting chaired by the minister will decide the nature of works to be undertaken based on these technical reports,” he said.
He added that future works would vary depending on the depth and condition of individual shorelines.
“Earlier reef works at Battappady helped reduce wave intensity. However, for a permanent solution, parallel reefs may have to be constructed. We are exploring the best possible long-term option,” he said.