Bengaluru, May 23, 2026: The Opposition BJP on Friday accused the Congress government of “crossing all limits of appeasement” after the State Cabinet decided to withdraw cases related to the 2022 Ladle Mashaikh Dargah riots, a move the government defended as being in line with established procedure.
The Cabinet on Thursday approved the withdrawal of prosecution in 52 criminal cases. The government clarified that cases involving farmers and pro-Kannada activists had also been withdrawn in the past.
Among the cases being withdrawn are at least eight linked to riots in Aland of Kalaburagi district. The withdrawal follows a petition submitted by the managing committee of the Dargah Hazrat Malikul Mashaikh Makdoom Ladle Ansari (Sunni), which was reportedly supported by Speaker U T Khader.
BJP leader and Karkala MLA V Sunil Kumar criticised the decision, alleging that the Congress government was indulging in appeasement politics.
“All governments withdraw cases related to pro-farmer, pro-Dalit and pro-Kannada protests, and we support that. But what message is the government trying to send by withdrawing cases involving SDPI activists and Muslim miscreants accused of damaging public property and attacking officials?” he questioned.
He further alleged that the Congress was trying to retain its minority vote bank. “After realising that its Muslim vote bank is slipping away, the government is crossing all limits of appeasement politics with one decision after another,” he said.
Kumar also demanded to know whether the police department had agreed to the withdrawal of the cases, adding that “voters in several states have rejected such appeasement politics.”
BJP state president B Y Vijayendra also condemned the move, referring to allegations that the Raghava Chaitanya Shivalinga at the Dargah had been desecrated.
“During that period, there were communal riots, stone-pelting incidents and attacks on the vehicles of the then Union Minister, district collector and superintendent of police. Yet this Tughlaq government has withdrawn the cases,” Vijayendra charged.
Defending the decision, Home Minister G Parameshwara said the withdrawals were carried out after due legal scrutiny.
“Pro-Kannada organisations and farmers’ groups had been seeking withdrawal of cases against them for several years. The government referred all such cases to a Cabinet sub-committee. After examining each case individually, the committee concluded that these cases could be legally withdrawn,” he said.
When asked specifically about the withdrawal of cases linked to the Ladle Mashaikh Dargah violence, Parameshwara declined to elaborate further, saying only that the decision was taken after considering all aspects, including attacks on police personnel.
Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar also defended the Cabinet’s decision, stating that there was “nothing wrong” in withdrawing the cases.