mangalore today
name
name
name
Saturday, May 23
namenamename

 

82 killed, 9 still missing after explosion at coal mine in China


Mangalore Today News Network

Beijing, May 23, 2026: The death count from an explosion at a coal mine in northern China has jumped sharply again to 82, state media reported on Saturday.

"Reporters learnt from the scene of the gas explosion at the Liushenyu Coal Mine... that the accident has resulted in 82 deaths and nine people missing," state broadcaster CCTV said.


Coal mine explosion

President Xi Jinping urged "all-out efforts" to treat the injured and called for thorough investigations into the incident, state news agency Xinhua said.

He "emphasised that all regions and departments must draw lessons from this accident, remain constantly vigilant regarding workplace safety... and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and catastrophic accidents".

Rescue efforts were ongoing, Xinhua said.

Xinhua reported earlier that levels of carbon monoxide -- a highly toxic, odourless gas -- had "exceeded limits" at the mine.

Some of those trapped underground were in "critical condition", the earlier report said.

Shanxi, one of China’s poorer provinces, is the country’s coal-mining capital.

Mine safety in the country has improved in recent decades, but accidents still occur frequently in an industry where safety protocols are often lax.

China is the world’s top consumer of coal and the largest greenhouse gas emitter, despite installing renewable energy capacity at record speed.


Write Comment | E-Mail To a Friend | Facebook | Twitter | Print
Error:NULL
Write your Comments on this Article
Your Name
Native Place / Place of Residence
Your E-mail
Your Comment
You have characters left.
Security Validation
Enter the characters in the image above