Sirsi, Nov 30: More than 50 employees of the Kaiga plant, located in a woody area near Project Seabird close to Mangalore, had to be treated for radioactive poisoning after drinking water from a water cooler.
The officials at the Kaiga Nuclear Power Plant said that a radioactive element called tritium had been introduced into the employees’ water cooler by unknown agents. Allegedly, someone has introduced the tritium through the overflow channel of the cooler.
Last Wednesday, workers underwent a routine urine test, which revealed signs of radioactive poisoning. Fifty-five employees received treatment for the same.
India’s Atomic Energy Commission has called the incident a “serious lapse” in security measures. Plant Director J P Gupta said that a thorough survey of the plant did not reveal any water leak from the reactor systems; so the incident was not because of faulty plant systems.
Meanwhile, investigations are being quietly conducted.
Earlier this year, a junior employee and a scientist died under mysterious circumstances when they were taking their morning walk.