Sullia, Feb 18, 2015 : In a tragic incident, an 18 year old girl was charred to death when her house accidentally caught fire and was gutted on February 17, Tuesday at Uttambe in Guttigar near Subrahmanya.The deceased is identified as Harshitha, daughter of Narayana Gowda and Saroja.
Harshitha’s parents and brother were away when the mishap took place and she was all alone in the house. As the house was located in an isolated area, people living at a distance came to know about the fire after quite a long time by when the entire house was gutted.
Though efforts were made to douse the flames, they were in vain and the charred remains of the girl was found among other burnt things inside the house.
It is learnt Narayana Gowda, a carpenter was at some work at Subrahmanya Temple and Saroja was at a relative’s house when the mishap took place. Though at the outset it seems to be an accidental fire possibly out of short circuit, rumours are also doing the rounds that the girl might have self immolated herself after dousing herself in kerosene and the fire might have thus spread to the entire house. It is also being said that Harshitha was not happy with her parent’s choice of a boy for her to get married, but was being pressurised to agree for the proposal.
The Sullia Tahsildar, MESCOM officials as well as senior police officials have visited the spot and investigations are underway. The burnt materials in the house will be sent for forensic test, the Tahsildar has informed. Family sources said gold worth Rs 1 lakh apart from cash of Rs 25000 were also gutted in the fire.