Udupi, Apr 26, 2019: Urban pockets in Udupi is more vulnerable to malaria when compared to rural areas, District Health Officer (DHO) Om Prakash Kattimani said on Thursday.
Addressing a press conference on the occasion of World Malaria Day, he said 78% of the cases were reported in the Udupi city limits and the remaining 22% cases were reported in the rural areas.
"The government has set a target at make Karnataka malaria-free by 2025. The country has set the target to achieve malaria-free India by 2030," he explained.
Medical Officer Dr Prashanth Bhat said 150 billion malaria cases are reported all over the world every year. "Of which 90% of the cases are found in African countries. In India, out of one lakh people, 17 are vulnerable to malaria."
He said by ensuring hygienic environment, mosquito breeding could be checked. The main cause of the disease is the transmission of parasite called ’plasmodium’ through the bite of an infected female mosquito.
It is important that the vector-borne disease does not spread. In India, the number of malaria cases are declining with each passing year. The infection should be identified immediately in the beginning and should be treated. He said the migratory labourers were highly vulnerable to malaria.
"They should be informed about the measures to protect themselves from malaria," he added.