Mangaluru, Feb 1, 2016: A furniture factory located close by a school at Derebail Konchady in the city caught fire on February 1, Monday creating panic as even a school was located nearby. With great presence of mind, the school authorities evacuated the children from the school thereby averting any casualty. Luckily the school was left unharmed. But the furniture factory suffered losses to the extent of nearly Rs 10 lakh to Rs 15 lakh.
The fire broke out on the first floor of Bhagyajothi Industries and Emerald Decor located next to the Vidya Nursery School, Vidya Higher Primary School and Indira Gandhi Memorial School at Konchady. As smoke was seen billowing from the nearby factory, the school authorities evacuated the nearly 517 children from the school building. It is learnt, the schools had only one exit.
A short circuit is suspected to be the cause of the fire while some workers in the factory said a spark while welding might have caused the fire. It is learnt, the firm was owned by Lakshman Devadiga and had started operations just around three months ago.
The headmistress of the Vidya School said the students were panicky on seeing the smoke and had rushed outside leaving behind their belongings. The glass panes of nearby buildings got smashed due to the heat of the flames.
The fire tender vehicles which arrived after about half an hour managed to douse the flame. Classes resumed later on.
The Kavoor Police have registered a case.