mangalore today
Saturday, December 05
Abish Buildersnamename


Shirva people demand official probe into suicide, major action tomorrow

Shirva people demand official probe into suicide, major action tomorrow

Mangalore Today News Network

Udupi, Nov 04 2019: A large group of people of Shirva at least  600,  protested outside the church office at Shirva, they  demand a competent official probe into the suicide of Assistant Parish Priest Fr Mahesh D’Souza, who had been serving as principal of Don Bosco School.  Fr D’Souza allegedly committed suicide in the principal’s chamber at Shirva on October 11.




Alleging that the priest had been compelled to take the extreme step, the agitators urged the authorities to make public the investigation report on the suicide. The large gathering of protesters on November 2 had postponed the stir, following an assurance by the Udupi Bishop Rev Dr.  Gerald Isaac Lobo that a parish council meeting would be held to discuss the issue.

They were joined by Kaup MLA Lalaji Mendon, who also attended the council meeting. Former Minister Pramod Madhwaraj also spoke to the agitators. They demanded that a separate official agency take up the case for investigation.

Speaking to the protesting gathering amidst interruptions, Udupi Superintendent of Police Nisha James said that the death cause was personal. The cameras installed on campus had been functioning and the evidences had been collected.

SP  said that she was personally monitoring the investigation. “The family had complained about the death. The assistant priest’s uncle filed a case after seeing the body. A case has been registered and an inquest was held, with Fr D’Souza’s mother and brother as witnesses. They are, however, least suspicious regarding the death,” said James.

“The provisional post mortem report also revealed that it is case of hanging, unnatural death. There is material physical evidence also of the priest himself carrying the rope for hanging. There is no interference and no criminal liability against anyone. The viscera samples have been sent to FSL regional office in Mangaluru. Only after the details are procured, the final post mortem report will be available,” the SP added.

Explaining further, SP James said, “The other evidence is that the priest’s two phones have been seized and are under investigation. Both mobile phones have been sent to FSL in Bengaluru. As the investigation is under progress, no more details can be revealed.” She also said that, as the family of the deceased priest had personally requested, the personal details that led to the death of Fr MAHESH cannot be revealed.

Major protest tomorrow - Nov 5, Tuesday :

Later,  MLC Ivan D’Souza spoke to the protesters and it was agreed and decided to hold a huge protest tomorrow,  Tuesday, November 5 and a memorandum to be given to competent authority demanding to hold the probe by higher and competent agency, probably CBI.  It is said that Ivan D’Souza will take of the leadership of the protest. 

Write Comment | E-Mail | Facebook | Twitter | Print
Write your Comments on this Article
Your Name
Native Place / Place of Residence
Your E-mail
Your Comment
You have characters left.
Security Validation
Enter the characters in the image above