Mangaluru, Dec 28,2016: Reports say that an accidental fire broke out at the Alake branch of Karnataka Bank in the city on Dec 27, Tuesday. Police sources said that the fire broke out at the reception area and other sections of the front office of the bank.
It is suspected that an electrical short circuit might be the reason for the fire that engulfed computers, files and furniture. No casualties were reported as the incident happened after the banking hours. The branch was closed and staffs had left the premises when the incident happened.
Police sources said that neighbours and people in nearby business establishments also realised the fire incident very late as the bank branch is located on the first floor of a building. Nearly 70 per cent of the front office area is learnt to have been destroyed in fire.
However, fire has not spread to the locker area. An FIR will be registered at Mangaluru North Police, sources added.