Mangaluru, March 02, 2015: The Mangalore Rural Police said that Louisa Pereira , a 72-year-old woman was charred to death in her house that was engulfed by fire in Silver Gate in Kulashekar on Mar 1, Sunday morning.
She was staying in the house all alone, as she was a spinster and generally helped by her sister’s son Fernandes and his wife. On Feb 28, Saturday night, Fernandes’ wife gave Louisa supper and went back to her own house.
Louisa Pereira’s house was seen alight in the early hours of Mar 1. Fire and Emergency Services personnel rushed to the spot and put out the fire. The police are of the primary opinion the fire was caused by a kerosene lamp coming in contact with material around the room where the diseased lived. The police have registered a case of unnatural death.