Mangaluru, Feb 01, 2019: A major disaster was averted in the city this afternoon with the timely intervention of the fire department. Smoke was seen emanating from the basement of the Alfa Towers, a multi-storied building on Balmatta Road, at about 3.00 p.m.
This caused panic in the locality and rumour began to spread that a gas cylinder had exploded in a restaurant operating the basement of the building. Alfa Towers building which is located opposite Supreme Motors, houses Kazana, Hotel Royal Park and other outlets.
Fortunately the firemen were able to speedily locate the source of the fire and put it off. “Our initial enquiry shows that the fire was caused due to short circuit in the diesel generator, which was housed in the basement,” a fireman said.
Thick smoke was seen to be coming out of the basement. No human causalities have been found, nor anyone has been injured. There is also no significant loss or damage to property, except for the diesel generator set and electrical box which were completely gutted in the fire.