Mangaluru, July 9, 2016: MCC, Mangaluru City Corporation is reported to be at the bottom of the list of city corporations in the State in utilising the Rs. 100 crore sanctioned for building infrastructure under the second phase of the Nagarothana scheme. The corporation utilised only 40 per cent of the amount sanctioned to it in the second phase.
It had been noted at a two-day conference of regional commissioners, deputy commissioners and chief executive officers of zilla panchayats presided over by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah in Bengaluru from June 27.
Pointing out this at a meeting here on Friday,DK DC Adoor .B. Ibrahim, said that the Chief Minister had instructed to utilise the balance amount within September by taking up works on a war footing. He instructed the officials that it would be the responsibility of the DC to ensure that quality works.
Gururaj Maralihalli, Executive Engineer, told the meeting that of the 124 works approved under the second phase, the corporation completed only 84 to the tune of Rs. 39.8 crore.
Further, in 9 works were under progress. Bids had been invited to take up 31 works costing Rs. 10.15 crore.
DC Ibrahim said that failing to utilise the fund by identifying the works and inviting bids reflected the functioning of the civic body. The DK Deputy Commissioner said that the corporation was also much behind in using funds from Rs. 100 crore sanctioned under phase III of the scheme. “The progress of the corporation is only 16 per cent,” he said adding that the Regional Commissioner had directed to complete the works under phase III by March next by calling bids within a month from now.
The DK DC asked what made the corporation not to utilise the fund sanctioned to it. But the commissioner of the corporation and Deputy Commissioner (Development), who is also the Superintendent Engineer, were not present to reply.
P.I. Sreevidya, Chief Executive Officer, Dakshina Kannada Zilla Panchayat, and other senior officials were present.