Bangalore, Jan 7,2013: Journalists under the aegis of the Patrakartha Akrama Bandhana Virodhi Vedike who were on a hunger strike since January 5, Saturday, demanding the release of Kasturi channel reporter Naveen Soorinje who has been arrested in connection with the homestay attack, called off their stir on the evening of January 6, Sunday after Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok assured to withdraw cases against the journalist.
Ashok who spoke to the protestors at Freedom Park, said he has directed the police department to withdraw cases against Naveen. The issue would be discussed by the Cabinet, the home ministers said adding the cases involving the other accused in the case would continue.
The agitation organised by the Vedike had been backed by several organizations including KSRTC, BMTC Employees Union, PUCL,SFI,Alternative Law Forum, Dalita Sangharsha Samithi and Komu Sauharda Vedike. Even senior writers Baraguru Ramachandrappa and SG Siddaramaiah extended support.