Mangaluru, Feb 27, 2018: Almost after a year’s delay, the one-man judicial commission formed to probe the “unnatural” death of DySP M K Ganapathi, submitted its report to the state government on Monday.
The 320-page report comprising several recommendations, was submitted to Home Minister Ramalinga Reddy by retired judge of High Court of Karnataka, Justice K N Keshavanarayana, who heads the commission.
Reddy told reporters that the report has been submitted one-and-half-years after the death of Ganapathi. “The report will be handed over to the additional chief secretary, Home department. Once the report is examined, it will be placed before the Cabinet,” he added.
Interestingly, the Commission has not questioned Bengaluru Development Minister K J George, and two IPS officers A M Prasad and Pronab Mohanty. This has led to speculations that the trio have been given a clean chit by the commission. Though the CID, which enquired into the case, gave a clean chit to the trio, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which is probing the case, has registered FIRs against all three of them.
Justice Keshavanarayana said that the three of them had not been questioned by his commission as there were no accusations against them. “Hence, there was no enquiry against the trio. The commission was asked to probe the death. Nobody had been named as accused. When there are no accused named, who can the commission investigate? The report has been prepared based on the statements given by the witnesses,” he said.
He said that statements of 48 witnesses, including two investigating officers, had been recorded. He said that he could not reveal the contents of the report, as it was a confidential document.
The report, along with hard copies and soft copies of various supporting documents, was submitted to the government in a metal case.