Mangaluru, Nov 09 2017: All arrangements are being made to hold Tipu Jayanthi celebration in Mangaluru as per the government order. The celebration will be held only in Mangaluru and no permission has been granted for any other Tipu Jayanthi programme in the district, said Deputy Commissioner Sasikanth Senthil.
Addressing a press meet at the DC office on November 9, Thursday, he said like any other government function, the celebration will be held grandly at the Netravathi Auditorium of Dakshina Kannada Zilla Panchayat at 10 am. The programme will be held amid security, he said adding that no procession will be held in connection with the event.
So far no one has sought permission to hold protest against Tipu Jayanthi, the DC added.
City Police Commissioner T R Suresh who was also present, elaborated on the security measures in place for the programme. The Department has already identified 80 persons of criminal background and has secured security bond from them. Security has been stepped up in sensitive areas, he said adding a total of 1,200 police personnel including 4 KSRP and 10 CRP battalions and 130 officers of RAF will be on security duty.
SP Sudheer Kumar Reddy said posters or buntings will not be allowed without permission. All security arrangements are also done for the Parivartana Yatra, he said.
Names dropped from invitation: Additional DC Kumar informed that the names of MP Nalin Kumar Kateel and MLC Capt. Ganesh Karnik have been dropped from the Tipu Jayanthi invitation after they made a written appeal to the administration.
’Mandatory GPS, colour coding for sand mining boats ’
Mangaluru: Dakshina Kannada Deputy Commissioner Sasikanth Senthil has said strict measures are being taken to prevent illegal sand extraction from CRZ limits. He also stated that GPS facility and colour coding will be made mandatory for boats engaged in sand extraction.
Speaking to reporters here on November 9, Thursday, he said sand extraction permit has been given to 40 persons in accordance to the district committee decision to grant permits to only those who have been engaged in traditional sand mining for over three years. Sixty three more persons have submitted applications which are being scrutinized, he added.