Koppal, August 18, 2019: Five students were electrocuted at Devaraj Urs Residential School in Koppal on Sunday morning when they were trying to remove the flag post installed for Independence Day celebrations on the first-floor terrace of the hostel building.
It was learnt during the preliminary enquiry that the two students came in contact with the 11 kv live electric line while three students attempted to save their friends and were electrocuted.
The deceased were identified as Mallikarjun, Kumar, Ganesh, Basavaraj and Devaraj.
As news of the incident spread, Deputy Commissioner P. Sunil Kumar, Superintendent of Police Renuka Sukumar, zilla panchayat chief executive engineer Raghunandan Murthy and other senior officers rushed to the spot. Abhinava Gavisiddeshwara Swamiji of Gavimath, Koppal, also rushed to the spot and consoled the shocked students.
In Bengaluru, Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa told mediapersons on Sunday that he had ordered a probe into the incident and that those responsible for the negligence would be held accountable. “We will give a compensation of ₹5 lakh to the family of the deceased students and stand by the families in this time,” he said.