mangalore today

Prajwal Revanna rape case witness alleges death threats; court orders probe


Mangalore Today News Network

Bengaluru, Aug 22, 2026: A prosecution witness in the rape case against former Hassan MP Prajwal Revanna has informed the trial court that she received threatening phone calls, prompting the court to order an inquiry and direct authorities to provide her protection.

The Special Court for cases involving MPs and MLAs instructed the head of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the allegations and submit a report at the next hearing.


Prajwal Revanna

The witness, a 43-year-old social worker from Hassan district, had earlier been examined by the court in July.

During her cross-examination on August 20, she told the court that she had received phone calls threatening to kill her and send her to prison. Taking note of the complaint, the court directed the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) heading the SIT to conduct an inquiry into the matter.

Following the cross-examination, the witness expressed fear for her safety and told the court that if any harm came to her or her son, the accused should be held responsible. The court then directed the SIT chief to provide necessary protection to the witness in accordance with the law.

The trial relates to a case registered at the Holenarasipura police station.

In August 2025, the special court convicted Prajwal Revanna in the first of the four rape and sexual abuse cases against him and sentenced him to life imprisonment for the remainder of his natural life.

Prajwal has remained in judicial custody since his arrest on May 31, 2024. A raid conducted by the Central Crime Branch (CCB) at Parappana Agrahara Central Prison on August 11 reportedly found that he was using a mobile phone while in custody.