mangalore today
name
name
name
Thursday, October 18
Boscossnamename

 

Varahi water to Udupi, plan cost Rs. 245-cr

Varahi water to Udupi, plan cost Rs. 245-cr


Mangalore Today News Network

Mangaluru, Sep 20, 2017: With the DPR-Detailed Project Report being submitted to the government for getting Varahi water to Udupi through pipelines to meet the drinking water needs during summer, the tenders for this project are expected to be floated in about a month-and-a-half.


Varahi


The project, under the Karnataka Integrated Urban Water Management Investment Programme (KIUWMIP), envisages laying pipelines for 39.6 km from the jackwell of the non-functional lift irrigation pumphouse at Bharathkal village across the Varahi to the dam across the Swarna at Baje, about 15 km from Udupi.

Water is being supplied to the city from the Baje Dam for decades. But the Swarna goes dry in the summer and its inflow stops by March. The Udupi City Municipal Council (CMC) has to use water stored in Baje dam for the next 90 days during the summer.

“The city requires about 35 million litres to 38 million litres of water per day (mld), but in May this year, we could pump only 9 mld,” said K. Raghavendra, CMC Environment Engineer, told The Hindu .

Unlike Swarna, Varahi has water throughout the year. The pumphouse at Bharathkal would be used to pump water by installing a 500 HP pump to lift 41 mld. Besides an approach road, an operator’s room would be constructed at the pumphouse.

Three bulk metres too would be installed there. Power for the pumphouse would be supplied by 11 kV express feeder line.

The pipelines from Bharathkal to Baje would be laid by the side of road so as to avoid issues of forest clearance and land acquisition. As this pipeline will have to cross three rivers, pillars with pile foundation columns would be constructed to hold it. “Nearly 40 % of water would have to be pushed, while the remaining 60 % will flow through gravity. The entire project is estimated to cost Rs. 245 crore. It will take about 18 months for the project to be completed from its commencement,” said D. Manjunathaiah, CMC Commissioner.

The raw water would be supplied to 12 villages en route , which will have to treat the water and bear operation and maintenance costs. A 28 mld jackwell and water treatment plant would be constructed at Baje to treat the raw water before it is supplied to Udupi.


Write Comment | E-Mail | Facebook | Twitter | Print
Comments on this Article
Kaveetha Rony Ointo, Goa Wed, September-20-2017, 1:03
Will this project work well in supplying water from to Udupi
Shruthi Adiga, Ullal Wed, September-20-2017, 12:54
These projects just help the politicians to earn well by
Write your Comments on this Article
Your Name
Native Place / Place of Residence
Your E-mail
Your Comment
You have characters left.
Security Validation
Enter the characters in the image above