Mangaluru, Sep 27, 2016: As per a media note received, UAB, United Artists Band (UAB) Mangalore, participated in the St. Padre Pio Annual Festival Celebrations at Divine Mercy Retreat Centre, part of St. Ann’s Capuchin Friary at Bejai in the city September 25 th, 2016.
UAB a musical band which also provides social services in the city and out side, participated contributing to the music during the procession in particular, the head of the Friary Rev Dr. Melwin Paul Dsouza, OfM cap. and former Superior Rev Fr. Cyprian Peter Dsouza,OfM cap and the entire capuchin father’s community were present; the large congregation of people from the city was an eye opener to the faith at this institution . The program which was well attended, with a huge gathering of people etc., thus spreading the joy,
Spring of Spiritual Life in the Heart of the City : St. Anne’s Friary a house of prayer of the Franciscan Capuchin Friars, touching the lives of the people. An attraction to all the people of different walks of life all to fulfil their soul’s desires. Now blessed with a New Chapel from traditional outlook to the Merger of the new and old, a place you must visit for the Spiritual enlightenment.
St. Anne’s Friary
The place, originally known as “Lawn View” and measuring 45 cents, belonged to resident George Lobo, a retired jailor. He gifted the place and his house to the Capuchins in May 1936, in memory of his deceased wife, Annie Lobo. Hence the friary is named after St. Anne. Earlier the house was used as a centre for Franciscan gatherings. A hall was erected for this purpose in 1937, which served also as a chapel and eventually became the Portiuncula, dedicated to Our Lady of Angels. In 1941 the house of George Lobo was declared a hospice attached to St. Fidelis Friary, Farangipet. Some friars started staying here for the purpose of doing social work and other pastoral ministry in the town. A shrine of St. Anthony was constructed at the corner of the triangle during the same year.
Since George Lobo was still living in one of the rooms of his old house and the friars needed privacy, a temporary residence was constructed behind the shrine of St. Anthony in 1943. In 1950, after the death of George Lobo, the temporary residence was demolished and the old house was re-modeled and the chapel was enlarged. For the purpose of promoting vocations to the Order, the Assisi House was started in 1955 in a small rented building. The compound, measuring about 2 acres, adjoining the friary and known as ‘Grasmere’, which belonged to P.C. Lobo, the brother of Mr. George Lobo, was acquired in 1960 and the Assisi House came there.
The friary has many initiatives to its credit. In early 1950’s, under the leadership of Fr. Cyril Andrade the S.F.O. apostolate began in Mangalore. Later, under the leadership of Fr. Vincent Lobo, the S.F.O. ministry thrived in Mangalore diocese. In 1943 the Konkani Natak Sabha started by Fr. George Albuquerque Pai S.J. was transferred to the Capuchins of St. Anne’s Friary. Fr. Cyril Andrade became its president. By 1951, under the leadership of Fr. Philip Neri, a good Hall, named Don Bosco, was built and to-date the Capuchins direct the socio-cultural activities of the K.N.S. Some years later, Fr. Vincent Lobo started the Konkani family monthly magazine, “Sevak” which saw its first issue in September 1959. He also started Assisi Press in 1970 as a landmark in the media apostolate of the Province. Today, several aged Friars live in the Friary too, notable among others is Fr.Theophile Periera (92 yrs)a pioneer in introducing farming in the congregation and is today revered.