Mangaluru Oct 6, 2016: Food and Civil Supplies Minister UT Khader has directed officials to chalk out remedial measures to create awareness among the public on avoid consuming toxic fishes.
He was addressing officials of the Fisheries, Health, Police and Health departments at a review meeting at DC office today October 6, Thursday, to initiate suitable action with regard to the issue wherein people were taken ill after consuming fish heads that were supplied from the export firm in Ullal.
Fish food lovers need to be careful while consuming fish belong to Bohar (Kemberi) and Puffer fish (thondhe) as they contain poisonous substance inside their body, said UT Khader.
FSSAI Committee member Karuna Sagar said that the algae eater fish especially in the coral reef area can be the reason behind the problem. The big fish gets toxicity while accumulating small toxin fishes. While toxins need to be characterized, this varies from one another, she added.
Marine Authority officer Ashok Kumar said that, the initial probe shows that the fish which was responsible for the health hazards of so many people in Dakshina Kannada was caught during deep sea fishing in South African waters.
Fisheries expert Prathibha said there was a need to identify the source of toxin fish. Some fish have toxin in its head, skin and in gills. There is a need to create awareness among the public in this regard, she said.
Khader stated that this is not the first instance of fish becoming toxic. He said a similar case was reported six months back in Uppinangady. People need to be alert to avoid such problems, he added.
People had consumed fish heads, which is considered as waste in a fish export factory. Fish waste includes heads, thorns and other parts. Someone who transports this waste from fish meal factory might have sold this to local people and they have fallen sick, he observed.
Deputy Commissioner KG Jagadeesha said that this issue can’t be taken lightly and wide publicity should be given to the public about Bohar (Kemberi) and Puffer fish (Thondhe) to avoid consuming such toxic fishes. He also directed to set up a protocol to the hospitals for the treatment of such cases.