Mangaluru, Jan 21, 2020: City Police Commissioner Dr P S Harsha has exuded confidence that those who planted explosive device at the Mangaluru International Airport will soon be arrested.
Meanwhile, Harsha said a case has been registered against the suspect under the provisions of Explosion Substance Act and Unlawful Activities Prevention Act based on a complaint by the CISF at the local police station.
Dr. Harsha who spoke through a video release said three teams are involved in the investigation and added that the Department has already questioned many suspects.
The driver of the autorickshaw used by the suspect is also being interrogated, the Commissioner said and added that the Department has received many videos and photos from the public after it released the pictures of the suspect.
Three committed teams have been formed for the identification, detection and apprehension of the accused persons involved in the case.
"So far the teams have been able to collect preliminary evidence, which is pointing to a person in his middle age, who was wearing a cap and dressed in a formal way," Harsha said.
He appealed to the people of Mangaluru and elsewhere to share any information they have as this is a matter of national security.
The residue of the defused explosive material has been sent for investigation, he added.
Nine National Security Guard (NSG) commandos will review security arrangements at Mangaluru Airport after ’live’ explosive device was found in an unattended bag near a ticket counter of the departure gate of the airport on Monday that was later defused at a nearby open ground. According to the latest report, the auto driver has been arrested in which the suspect had travelled and placed the bomb at the airport.
"According to the preliminary reports, a live bomb was found at the Mangaluru Airport today", Karnataka Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai said as the incident created a scare ahead of the Republic Day.
Bommai said an alert has been sounded in all the airports in the state, including Bengaluru, Mangaluru, Hubballi and Belagavi.
"We will intensify the probe and will identify the anti-national forces who want to terrorise people and create panic. We are taking these activities very strongly, which is aimed to push back India economically," the Home Minister said.
According to Bommai, there is an attempt to carry out large scale terror activities for the past seven to eight years in the country, particularly around January 26 and Mangaluru has been the target of these anti-national forces.
"We have identified that Mangaluru is the area of operations (of terrorists). Also, there are such activities noticed in Bengaluru, Hubballi-Dharwad and their surrounding places, for which we have intensified our investigation", the Minister added.