Malpe: September 29, 2015: Seven tourists visiting Malpe beach were injured after being stung by sting rays on Sunday. Six of the tourists are from Bengaluru and one is from Kodagu. They are undergoing treatment at a nursing home in Malpe. Owing to the incident, the beach will remain closed for the next 20 days.
Last September, the ray fish left at least 17 tourists injured in Malpe beach.
Mohan V Kanchan, head of the four-member life guard team at Malpe beach, told sources that the tourists were moved to the nursing home after they complained of excruciating pain.
“We have placed caution boards stating that no one should enter the beach from Monday till the fish move away, which could take 20 more days,” he said.
Dr Surendra Shetty, medical officer, Malpe Nursing Home, who is treating the tourists, said the sting is poisonous, but not fatal. “Pain will be severe for a day and there will be muscle cramps. One should soak the leg in hot water, which destabilises the venom within half an hour,” he said. Those injured are given a pain killer injection as well as local anaesthesia, he said. Anil D’Souza, one of the life guards, said that a week ago, many sting rays were caught in fishing nets. He added that sting rays come near the beach when there is a dip in the water temperature.
Sting rays, however, use their barbs only for self-defence, he said.