Mangaluru, March 01, 2015: Security in and around the city has been stepped up in the wake of the Virat Hindu Samajotsava scheduled to be held at Nehru Maidan here on March 1.
Sadhwi arrives : Sadhvi Balika Saraswati from Madhya Pradesh, who is the key note speaker for the Virat Hindu Samajotsava to be held today, was given a warm welcome upon her arrival at the airport on February 28, Saturday.Several VHP leaders were present
A press communiqué from S Murugan, City Police Commissioner informed that 600 police personnel have been deployed in sensitive areas which are also equipped with CCTV cameras at highly sensitive points. He also informed that 5DySps, 7 circle inspectors, 41 Sis, 59 ASIs and 712 head constables have been summoned from other districts for security duty. He further said that there would be 385 picketing points, 47 mobile sectors and 38 check posts identified.
Fire service vehicles and ambulances will also be on stand by in the event of any emergency, the Commissioner said and appealed to the public not to pay heed to rumours. He also warned of tough action against any cases of violation of law.
Traffic diversion : The following changes in traffic movement will be effective on March 1, Sunday.
1. Parking of vehicles at Nehru Maidan and within a 500 radius from the ground has been prohibited till the event ends.
2. Vehicles arriving from Udupi-Suratkal side move via Kottara Chowki-Lady Hill-Lalbagh and PVS and allow people to alight the vehicles at Bunts Hostel. The vehicles will have to be parked at Ramakrishna College grounds or C V Nayak Hall grounds.
3. Vehicles arriving from Moodbidri should travel via Nanthoor circle, Mallikatte and park at Ramakrishna College grounds, C V Nayak Hall grounds, or Padua High School grounds.
4. Vehicles coming for the event from Bantwal-Kasargod should move via Pumpwell, Kankanady Karavali Circle, Bendoorwell Horticulture junction, SCS Balmatta junction, drop the passengers and park in Vaman Nayak grounds or at Emmekere grounds.
5. KSRTC buses heading to KSRTC bus stand from Pumpwell should travel via Nanthoor-KPT-Kuntikana-Baliga Stores.
6. Vehicles arriving from Udupi to State Bank (but not for the programme), should ply via Lady Hill-Gokarnanatheshwara Temple, lower Car Street and Azizuddin road and return via Lady Goshen - Hampankatta - KS Rao Road.
7. Vehicles arriving from Nanthoor and Pumpwell (not for the programme) should ply via Kankanady-Valencia-Mangaladevi-Rosario-Hamilton road and go back via Lady Goshen-Hampankatta-KS Rao Road.
Depending on traffic density the city and service buses will be allowed to operate on other roads.
The Police Department has also put up necessary sign boards to ensure that there is no confusion.