Mangaluru, March 12, 2016: In a freak accident, a labourer nearly lost his life and it was only the timely intervention of the doctors of AJ Hospital & Research Centre that saved his life.
The bizarre incident which resulted in an iron rod piercing through his neck and getting stuck there would have certainly led to his death if he failed to get immediate medical treatment.
As per a media release reaching here, the patient Vipul Barman, a 28 year old labourer, had a fall from the first floor of a building. The incident occurred last night at about 9:30 p.m. at Kumbla village near Kasargod.
During the fall, an iron road normally used in construction sites pierced and passed through his neck and got stuck there.
He was immediately shifted to AJ Hospital in the city with the rod still stuck in his neck. On reaching the hospital, doctors performed emergency surgery on him and extricated the life threatening object.
“The rod was found to pierce through the neck muscle and had fortunately missed all the major vessels. Hence we were able to take out the rod by cutting through the neck muscles,” said Dr. Ashok Hegde, Professor and Head of the Department of General Surgery of the hospital.
After removing the offending material, the surgical site was given a thorough wash and the muscles were sutured back, he added.
Post operative, the patient is comfortable and recovering well, the media release stated.