Mangaluru, December 21 2017: In a freak accident, a Hyundai Santro car caught fire as the owner was driving it on M. G. Road this afternoon at about 3:00 p.m. The Bangalore registered car (KA 03 Z 6079) driven by an elderly man started billowing smoke as it reached the junction near Canara College.
On seeing the smoke, he abruptly stopped the car and got out. Locals rushed to his rescue and tried to stop the smoke which seemed to be coming out from under the bonnet. Fire service personnel soon reached the spot and succeeded in dousing the fire.
Short circuit in the electrical system of the car is suspected to be the cause of the fire. The car owners name is said to Raghuram.