Mangaluru, Jan 31, 2017: The Southern Railway has commissioned the Jokatte Railway Station on January 29. The station set up at a cost of over Rs 50 crores is fully functional for operational purposes and will be opened for passengers soon, informed a press communique from Southern Railway. It is the 95th railway station in Palakkad Division.
The features of the new Railway Station are as follows:
· It has two platforms and a subway connecting these platforms with station building.
· Modern electronic interlocking is provided for signalling system at the station.
· The station building has concourse & waiting hall and booking office.
· Provision for availability of drinking water at the station has been ensured by constructing a well and installing pipe lines for supplying through overhead water tank.
· A one Km long concrete approach road from the station to main road, is nearing completion.
· A passenger sub-way has also been constructed across the track near Jokatte station, in lieu of the Level Crossing gate No.14.
The new station would help in reducing the congestion of trains at Mangaluru Junction Station. The doubled track and Jokatte station will help in easing the up and down movements of trains between Tokur and Panambur stations. The mandatory permission for signal from Tokur station of Konkan Railway, is not required now for dispatching goods trains from Padil or Mangaluru Junction to Panambur. This will also enhance effective goods handling at Panambur.
The overall project also included completing the track doubling work of 5.9 Kms between Jokatte and Panambur station and laying new track of 3.4 Kms, to facilitate independent goods movement to Panambur.
Besides improving the operational flexibility, doubled track between Jokatte and Panambur and the Station building at Jokatte, would also contribute towards better safety, the communique stated.