Kerala, Nov 22, 2019: Less than a year after she made history as one of the first women to enter Sabarimala post the Supreme Court verdict allowing women of all ages entry into the shrine, Kanakadurga is now at the centre of a social media misinformation campaign that claims she broke down and repented her actions, Yahoo reported.
In an interview with HuffPost India, Kanakadurga asserted she had not asked for forgiveness and refuted reports on her “regret”.
For the latest news and more, follow HuffPost India on Twitter, Facebook, and subscribe to our newsletter.
Kanakadurga, who is a Kerala State Civil Supplies Corporation employee, and Bindu Ammini, a lawyer, were in the spotlight early this year when they entered the Sabarimala temple on January 2, on their second attempt. They had been forced to retreat during their first attempt in December 2018. The visit created much furore in Kerala, which had seen violent protests by right-wing wings and BJP workers following the September 2018 Supreme Court verdict that lifted the temple’s ban on women and girls of reproductive age (10-50). Last week the top court said the verdict would be reviewed by a larger bench, but did not stay its previous order.
Sabarimala opened for its two-month-long Mandalam Makaravilakku season last weekend.
The current, high-decibel fake news campaign against Kanakadurga claims she sought the forgiveness of Sabarimala’s celibate deity Ayyappa for violating his wishes and termed her present ‘isolation’ as his curse.
“Why do I have to repent or ask for forgiveness if I am not making any mistakes? As far as I am concerned, there is not even an iota of regret for the historical pilgrimage to Sabarimala on January 2. Don’t believe the Sangh Parivar propaganda that I gave a television interview saying that I have been facing extreme isolation since the pilgrimage. I never said the claimed isolation was because of the curse of Ayyappa,’’ Kanakadurga told HuffPost India.
“I am an Ayyappa devotee who believes in women...