Udupi, Jan 28, 2020: A major fire mishap was averted during Attur feast in Karkala taluk on Sunday night.
The annual feast of St Lawrence Minor Basilica is being held from January 26 to 30. On the first day of the feast, fire was noticed in the generator and caused panic at around 9 pm. However, the fire was immediately doused with the help of fire extinguishers and volunteers of the church, sources said.
Assistant Fire Officer B M Sanjeeva and five other staff rushed to the spot immediately and doused the fire within half an hour. Later, a new generator was installed.
Sources in fire service department in Karkala said that short circuit in the generator caused the fire. The generator was worth of Rs 5 lakh and loss was estimated at Rs 2 lakh as the generator is partially burnt.