Mangaluru, July 9, 2015 : Sensitive news readers will recall the many horrible tales of woe and handicaps that have been caused in and around DK due to use of pesticides for crops in the hinter land and farms. Padre village is one that has seen some sad cases with the pesticides containing endosulfan which have poisoned young lives.
Shruthi is a 22-year-old was a victim of ’stag horn syndrome’ said to be caused due to endosulfan.
She faced the storms in her life and through sheer courage and willpower, did well in her education. Shruthi, is now married and residing at Mulleriya which is no easy task for her. Now she is filled with plans to pursue medical education at Government Homeopathy College in Bengaluru.
Shruthi’s mother Meenakshi succumbed to cancer caused due to endosulfan poisoning when she was just three. Her father Taranatha Rao and Shruthi’s stepmother Revathi have also greatly contributed to her success.
She appreciates support and motivation offered by Dr Mohan Kumar from Kumbdaje Village, who was instrumental in Shruti pursuing education. Her right leg which was badly disfigured and prevented her from walking to Vani Nagara School in Enmakaje panchayat of Kasargod district, hardly 300m from her house, was amputated and was replaced by Jaipur foot. She started attending school at eight. She studied at Vaninagar Government School from class I to class X in Kannada medium and later pursued her pre-university from Mulleriya College.
Shruthi stated that what she has is because of the support of many people, including my husband. If you have support, you can do anything. She always aimed to become a doctor from an early age. She is committed help the helpless, the women in particular.
Shruthi said that she was glad to know that the Kerala government has adopted her and the chief minister assured that the government will take care of the education further.