Udupi, Sep 30, 2016: Various Dalit, Left and progressive organisations will organising a Swabhimani Sangharsha Jatha, “Chalo Udupi”, from Bengaluru to Udupi, between October 4 and October 9.
Key members and B.R. Bhaskar Prasad, member of the ’Dalit-Damanitara Swabhimani Horata Samiti’, said that members of 166 progressive groups and organisations in the State were expected to participate in the jatha. The theme of the jatha is: “Food of our choice, land is our right”. Nearly 25,000 persons, including the members of various organisations, are expected to participate in the convention, Prasad said. Chalo Udupi: Pride March,Swabhimani Sangharsha Jatha.
In the wake of the assaults on dalits, minorities, women and all the oppressed classes, it’s needed for a strong social movement to oppose the onslaught. A meeting of all the dalits and progressive thinking people and organisations was held On 26th August at the Freedom Park Bengaluru. The participants were more than 250 in number had elaborate discussions and decided the following:
Aims and Objectives :
1. To stage a strong protest against the assaults on the dalits, minorities, adivasi, women and the oppressed in the name of cultural politics of ‘sacred cow’ and pressurise the govts to take action and protect the fundamental rights of every citizen of this country.
2. To form a decisive movement to prevent the repeated atrocities on dalits and the practice of untouchability.
3. To protect the Right of Choice of Food of the dalits, minorities and backward communities, including beef. To establish beyond question that food is an individual choice as long as there is no restriction as per the law of the land.
4. To demand for distribution of a minimum of 5 acres of land for all dalit families.
5. To defeat the right wing politics; To spread awareness and educate the young men of the dalits, oppressed classes and backward communities to prevent them being used by the Sangh Parivaar; To take appropriate steps to bring them out of the clutches of the right wing organisations indulged in spreading blind beliefs in the society.
Along with above-mentioned decisions, it was even decided to have a three stage programs to attain the aspirations of equality in the society.
*Stage 1*: To organise a Jatha from Bangalore to Udupi and a convention at Udupi, the place where Praveen Poojari was killed for transporting cows.
_The Jatha will begin on the 4th October, Tuesday from Freedom Park in Bangalore and proceed to Nelamangala, Kunigal, Channarayapatna, Hole Narasipura, Hassan, Beluru, Chickmagalore and reach Koppa on 8th October for a convention.
Further it will culminate in *Udupi* for a grand gathering on the 9th October with a massive rally.
Public meetings will be held all along the route of the Jatha, with main focus on college students.
*Stage 2*: To organise district level meetings, conventions in all the 30 districts over the next few months. This will aim at educating on the cultural politics, building confidence among the oppressed and preparing for the great struggle in the coming months.
*Stage 3*: To organise a massive rally of nearly two lakh people in Bangalore to demonstrate the strength of unity and place the demands.
In this regard an all-inclusive committee is formed.
You are requested to give your opinion, suggestions to strengthen the movement to make it a grand success. Please let us know how each one of you can contribute to this struggle to uphold the aspirations of the Constitution. It is a collective struggle and so is the responsibility.
Programme Details: Chalo Udupi: A Pride March
4 October 2016, Tuesday* 11 AM: Inauguration of Jatha at Freedom Park, Bangalore.
5 PM: Theatre presentation and Public meeting at Nelamangala_. Night Halt at Nelamangala
5 October 2016, Wednesday*: 10 AM: Public Meeting and Jatha Performance at Kunigal 4 PM: Public Meeting and Theatre at Channarayapatna_ Proceed and halt at Holenarasipura
6 October 2016, Thursday* 10 AM: Public Meeting and Theatre performance at Holenarasipura 4 PM: Public meeting and Theatre performance at Hassan_Halt at Beluru
*7 October 2016, Friday* 11 AM: Public Meeting and Theatre Performance at Beluru _4 PM: Public Meeting and Theatre Performance at Chickmagalore Proceed to and halt at Koppa
*8 October 2016, Saturday* Public Rally and convention at Koppa Proceed to halt at Udupi.
*9th October 2016, Sunday* The final leg of the Jatha: Public rally and Conclusion of Jatha.