Belthangady, Dec 02, 2019: Eight students of a Government school at Shibaje Perla in Belthangady taluk were taken ill on December 2, Monday after they drank water from the school well. Of the eight students, the condition of four is said to be critical and have been admitted to a hospital in Mangaluru.
Police suspect that someone might have poisoned the well water. As per sources, students as usual were watering the school garden after pumping water from the well. Some students reportedly drank the water and immediately complained of stomach pain. The school headmistress had checked the area and reportedly found a can close by the well. The children were taken to the government hospital at Kokkada. Four of them were then shifted to Wenlock Hospital in Mangaluru while four others have been admitted to the Taluk Hospital in Belthangady.
Dharmasthala Police have visited the school and are conducting investigation.