Mangaluru, Nov 24, 2015 : The much hyped International Children’s Film Festival here was a flop show on Nov 23 Monday with the main organiser, Children’s India, failing to screen films in rural areas, and the opening hours of the fest in Mangaluru plunging into chaos. The organiser apparently didn’t have an agreement with UFO, Delhi, to beam the films in taluk headquarters of Dakshina Kannada. As a result, hundreds of children went home disappointed.
In the city, the arrangements for students to reach designated theatres were a flop.
DK DC Adoor.B. Ibrahim told media that the festival would be on in Mangaluru for the remaining days till November 26. However, there would be no shows as indicated earlier in other towns of the district — Moodbidri, Bantwal, Puttur and Sullia. In Udupi district, the screening of films in seven theatres were suspended. Udupi DC Dr. R. Vishal, said that without proper technological input and permission, no film could be screened. “Though we were ready with logistics to bring the school students to theatres and food arrangements, we had no alternative but to cancel the shows on Nov 23, Monday. We have also cancelled the shows for Nov 24, Tuesday,” he said. Sources in the administration said the government had paid Rs. 25 lakh for the festival, besides providing infrastructure. city corporation paid for the expenses of Sunday’s festival inauguration, sources said.
Children’s India President N.R. Nanjunde Gowda was not available for comments. While he had claimed organising workshops and seminars on children’s films during the festival, no details were made available.