Mangalore, October 30, 2009: Mangaloreans who want to know how their beloved hometown looked a century ago can now satiate their curiosity by viewing rare old photographs, which form part of the Basel Mission collection, in the Karnataka Theological College, Balmatta. Besides, a collection of old Kannada and Tulu books, which form part of the collection of Basel Mission Publication, will also be exhibited.
According to Prof Rathnakar Sadananda, a few colored and several black-and-white photographs of Mangalore taken from 1840 to 1940 in DK, Kasargod, Udupi, and Kodagu will be exhibted. Most of these photographs were taken by German missionaries who were fascinated by the natural beauty, language, and culture of Mangalore. They are a living document of the culture and lifestyle of a century ago since they provide information on transportation, the first buses and trains, railway bridges, houses, commercial establishments, festivals, folk art, and so on.
Sultan’s Battery (1927)
Lighthouse in Mangalore (1858-1890)
Kudroli Tile Works(1913)
Ferry for vehicles in the Nethravathi River at Mangalore (1896-1910)
Balmatta church in Mangalore decorated for the centenary celebrations in 1934
Jetty in River Nethravathi, Mangalore (1898-1906)
Among the publications exhibited are old dictionaries, grammar books, copies of Mangalurur Samachara the first Kannada newspaper, religious publications, Dasa song collection by Moegling, rare publications such as Bibliotheca Karnataka, and so on.
The public can view this exhibition from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. from October 30 to November 8. The Exhibition was inaugurated by Dorothea Schweitzer of Switzerland, a member of Basel Mission on Friday.